May 7, 2012

Prom 2012

I am a junior in high school and everybody knows THE BIGGEST event in high school is prom.

It's so cliche.

Here are some things I hate about prom:

  1. Shiny satin dresses
  2. Shiny satin dresses with open backs
  3. Unflattering shiny satin dresses
  4. Long shiny satin dresses
  5. Short shiny satin dresses
  6. Being "required" to have a date

So yes, I have made my disgust of modern prom dresses clear. Also, I am quite annoyed by how everyone feels as if they HAVE to have a date. Yes I am going with one of my close friends, but I never felt like I needed someone else. You can still have fun if you don't bring a date. 

But anyways, even though I've had my little accident I still plan on going to prom. In my leg cast of course, and very possibly in a wheelchair. I still have shoes and a dress prepared. So here we go.

I got the dress from Twila Jean Vintage in October. It's a 1950s prom dress with a full skirt and it was only $90. Twila Jean was an absolute dream to buy from as well, she even held the dress for me for a couple days until I could make up my mind. (You should check out her blog as well, it's amazing.) I'm wearing a full white petticoat underneath it to have that classic 1950s look. 



I am just in love with this dress. On to the shoes! The shoes ended up being $50 from Payless. Not bad for custom-dyed satin shoes. (I know I have declared my detestation of stain, however my opinion is that satin belongs on shoes.) If you're curious of the color of them, it's Lemon Chiffon. Right now they are on sale for $20 so I would take advantage of the opportunity. They aren't vintage but they definitely have a vintage feel and style. Sadly I will probably only be able to wear them for the pictures because of my broken leg. For the rest of the night I will be wearing plain, old, dumb, white flats. 




Lastly, I plan to accessorize with pearl earrings and white gloves. I have spent MONTHS on the hair and I was originally planning to create a lovely early 1960s beehive, but when I saw the episode of Mad Men with Betty Draper's hair in this fantastic half-beehive I just had to do it. I even bought a lemon colored bow to stick in the middle. 



I actually learned how to do the style through Youtube. I love this video and it's actually super easy to do! 

xoxo
Kelly